Why We Blog

In my English 101 class at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, my students came to a realization--if you want to be good at something you have to practice it. They all mentioned they spent on average 4-5 hours a week on activities they considered themselves good at, but less than an hour a week writing. Why? Because they thought writing only counted when it was for school. So we agreed to try to write more on subjects and topics not related to school. This blog is a forum for all of us to voice our opinions, to be heard, to think and, most importantly to write.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Those Summer Days...




All good things must come to an end, and this class is no different. I hope you all know how much fun I had teaching all of you and how much I respect your abilities as writers and as students. You all exceeded my wildest hopes and dreams for this course. You all have great ability, and many have a true talent for writing. I hope you will all keep writing, either privately or here on our blog.

Writing is more than something we have to do in order to get a college degree. It's an amazing form of communication that enables us to share our thoughts with others. Can you imagine life with out writing? I can't. I must write to live.

If I've taught you just one thing, I hope it's that we should all write not just because we have to, but because we can.

I'd like to share with you one of my favorite quotes about writing:
"It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop."
~Vita Sackville-West



Keep in touch!

Look me up on facebook (this should take you to my profile!)

No comments:

Post a Comment