Why We Blog

In my English 101 class at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, my students came to a realization--if you want to be good at something you have to practice it. They all mentioned they spent on average 4-5 hours a week on activities they considered themselves good at, but less than an hour a week writing. Why? Because they thought writing only counted when it was for school. So we agreed to try to write more on subjects and topics not related to school. This blog is a forum for all of us to voice our opinions, to be heard, to think and, most importantly to write.

Monday, July 26, 2010

BAND

Band is a huge part of my life. Ever sense fifth grade i have been perfecting the art of playing my trumpet. Learning as the years went by I quickly became good and moved up to being one of the best in my middle school. After middle school came the big jump, high school marching band. I had to go from just playing my instrument to playing and marching at the same time. It was hard at first but you get used to it and then it becomes second nature to you. After four years in high school I am now about to enter a new charpet, College Marching Band. I do not know how this will affect my outlook on being in band but I am looking foreward to it.
So for all you people that hate or dislike the band, all I can say is that you have never experianced the thrill that comes when about 4000 people give you a standing ovation. You do not know what it is like to be amongst so many people that share the same love as you. Many people steriotype what it meant to be in the band. All the people are either nerdy or unpopular. Well let me tell you something it was calculated that if you were in band that you were more likely to score high on standardized tests, you would have discipline problems, and you would graduate high in your class. All of these things are just speculation of a band student. Imagine comming into high school with over 100 people as your friend. band makes your high school experiance enjoyable.
Band is an art and an art that can be taught to all. Music is a way of life and just about everyone has a favorite type they like to listen to.
So to all those people that hate on the band you will one day realize that what you did was wrong. All of the jokes that come out of someone being in band only makes me like being in the band more!

2 comments:

  1. Steven,
    I love your passion! I hope you know that (certainly on my part, and I believe on the class's part) our teasing was good natured. I know that I respect your talent, and if anything, I am jealous you have an ability that you get compenstated for financially. Well written and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete